Saturday, March 03, 2007

An Adventurous Journey

The last few days have been insane. Our trip started out just lovely, but things went downhill after hitting the mountain passes near Vail, Colorado and a huge snowstorm. I'm not a fan of driving in the snow. Actually, that's not completely true. I grew up in Minnesota and learned to drive in massive snowstorms. But I did NOT learn how to drive in massive snowstorms involving mountainous terrain. I've had the great fortune of getting stuck in truly awful snowstorms while on massive inclines and let me tell you that I am soooo not a fan. This storm wasn't the worst I've ever been in, but the mountain seemed to keep on going forever. It tends to feel that way when you're going 20mph I suppose.

But we finally got off the mountain alive. At the bottom, we stopped at a deserted gas station to fill up with fuel and my sister says to me, "I'm going to run over to the starbucks across the street and see if I can use their restroom." So she goes over there and I followed after my car was full, but I couldn't find her. The store was locked and all the lights were off. There wasn't a soul in sight. I called out her name, but she was around. So I went back to the gas station thinking that maybe I missed her coming back. After shuttling between the two locations for about ten minutes and not being able to find her, I was officially in freak out mode. I now know that if I ever have children and ever lose them in a crowd, I will be the hysterical mother not thinking straight. Luckily as I was getting ready to call the cops, she came out of the Starbucks. Apparently the side door was open and she had broken into the closed store. After driving in hellish weather and losing my sister I was, to say the least, very shaken up.

I recovered. We made it to Colorado Springs and I think I found an apartment that'll be ready in a week after being remodeled. And until them I'm living in a hotel. I feel like I'm in monopoly. Can I be the thimble?

3 comments:

SpyderWeiss said...

Glad you're okay Jen, sounds like a pretty traumatic experience. I updated my blog with a new entry, but you probably already know most of the stuff I wrote anyway.

Stacy said...

You've moved already? Wow, that was quick. Good luck with everything!

Anonymous said...

No, I'm always the thimble. You know that.