Posted by j at 12/30/2007
Okay dokey, Lynette tagged me and I love Christmas, so here goes. 12 random things about myself that have to do with Christmas:
1) I'm currently being a bit of Grinch in my refusal to post the "rules" of this meme or follow half of them. Sorry Andrea, I just can't bring myself to do it.
2) I love, love, love the holiday season. Fall is great and then it leads into this beautiful season of lights, family, and great smells.
3) As much as I love the season, I think Christmas Day is boring as anything. Nothing is open and since we do most of our celebrating on Christmas Eve, the day pretty much holds nothing. I usually hit up a movie.
4) Poinsettias make my top 5 favorite flowers list. They're so beautiful and vibrant.
5) I get a lot more joy out of finding the perfect present for someone else than receiving the perfect present.
6) I have never believed in Santa Claus. Ever. And I do not feel deprived. My parents never outright told us there wasn't one, they just didn't make him into a big deal. Our present were opened on Christmas Eve and they were from our parents. I thought everyone my age knew Santa was just a symbol so I never thought to inform my friends he wasn't real.
7) I love Jimmy Stewart but I can't stand "It's a Wonderful Life."
8) I like traditional and ethnic Christmas songs much better than the homogenized pop Christmas songs that are all over the radio. Except for the Wham! song- "Last Christmas, I gave you my heart, but the very next day you gave it away..."
9) The best Christmas dinner I ever had was a waffle buffet. So yummy compared to our traditional German fare of salami and sausages.
10) I insist on having a star topping my tree. If I could find a simple Angel that would be nice, but they always seem to be way overdone. Stars are nice and beautiful.
11) I once had two fish named Gold and Myrrh. I also had a stuffed fish named Frankie.
12) I wish people still gave Christmas oranges. They are the best things ever. When i have kids, they're getting oranges for Christmas.
Posted by j at 12/21/2007
Last week was one full of snow and cold and I was really, really looking forward to seeing the sun today. The weatherman promised mostly sunny, but all I see is cloud cover, cloud cover, and some more cloud cover. Anyone know if there's a special sun dance I can learn? Because I'm going to go a little crazy if he doesn't poke his head through those clouds today.
Posted by j at 12/17/2007
Tonight a group of friends and I watched Hairspray (love, love, love that movie!). In the middle of it one of my friends decided to pipe up and give us his opinion of the show:
Friend: This is so stupid! Like this could ever happen in reality!
Me: But it's a musical, it's not supposed to be real.
Friend: I know, but I'm a realist... I like things that are real.
Ironically, the last few movies he's highly recommended are: Transformers, Next (the main character can see 2 minutes into the future), and The Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.
Posted by j at 12/14/2007
Part of the reason I consider myself affiliated with the Democrat party is because of their stance on Environmental issues. In VERY general terms, I think we should stop pollution, save the animals, and prevent waste. I don't care if people think global warming isn't real or Al Gore is a crack-up, it can't hurt to stop relying on foreigners for oil and it can't hurt to use greener resources for energy. And it's just unnecessary to risk wildlife for drilling.
Posted by j at 12/13/2007
A few months ago, I happened upon this article about lucid dreaming and thought it was such a novel idea that I decided to try it. I started keeping a dream journal and each morning I could remember more and more of what I had dreamed the previous night. I honestly haven't done most of what the article said to do, but for the last few weeks I've had the best dreams. In fact, they've been so good that I've been disappointed to wake up and find out that they weren't real life. A couple of the best dreams:
*I dreamt I had been cast in a movie Emma Thompson (one of my favorite actresses of all time) was starring in. I had a small part in the movie, but it was still an exhilarating experience. At first I couldn't remember my lines because I was so nervous, but then I started to get the hang of it. By the end of "shooting" Emma and I had become bffs.
*My friend's extremely lovable dog had just had puppies and I was the first to find them. They were so cute jumping over each other and playing. Even though not much happened in the dream, it was still one of the best dreams I've ever had. How can puppies not make you happy? In fact, I think I'll post some pictures so all of you can experience the joy...
Posted by j at 12/11/2007
A fun Christmas meme from Lynette's blog:
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Definitely wrapping paper! Gift bags are nice in a pinch, but I really like using fun wrapping paper and ribbon. Lots and lots of ribbon...
2. Real tree or artificial?
Real! I love the smell and I how beautiful they are. Fake trees just aren't the same.
3. When do you put up the tree?
Usually I put it up the week after Thanksgiving, but I was a bit later this year.
4. When do you take the tree down?
In years previous, I've always been away and my roommates have always been the kind of people who take it down on the 26th. I'm planning on taking it down after New Year's this year.
5. Do you like Eggnog?
Heck freaking no! Disgusting!
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
A Teddy bear I got when I was about 5 that I was inseparable from for most of my childhood.
7. Do you have a nativity scene?
No, I don't really have anywhere to put one.
8. Hardest person to buy for?
My dad. He's impossible because he'll never tell you what he wants and if it's something you know he wants, he usually buys it for himself.
9. Easiest person to buy for?
Probably my little sister. Teenage girls are not terribly difficult to shop for :)
10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail. I have a strong aversion to e-vites and e-cards. Slightly tacky.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
When I was little, my dad used to try and buy me clothing, but he really didn't have much little girl fashion sense. He's a lot better now and wisely sticks to accessories. He gave me one of the most beautiful purses I own a couple years ago.
12. Favorite Christmas movie?
I love White Christmas, A Christmas Story (You'll shoot your eye out!), and Miracle on 34th Street (the newer one).
13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Yes, but I do it very rarely and only with small stocking stuffer-like gifts. Sometimes a gift is nice, but I just have no need for it.
14. What is your favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
My grandma's Christmas fudge.
15. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
Clear! I love, love, love the beautiful, pure look of all white lights. I really like those pearly white ones they have nowadays.
16. Favorite Christmas song?
Religious: Still, Still, Still or O Holy Night. Secular: Let it Snow.
17. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Travel. Absolutely none of my family lives in CO.
18. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
Donner, Blitzen, Rudolph, Dasher, and... that all I've got folks.
19. Open presents Christmas morning or evening?
All of them on Christmas Eve. I always taunted the other children at school about how I got to open all of my presents before they did. Mwahahaha!
20. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
People can forget all about what they're celebrating. I was talking to the Christmas tree guy who told me a story about one of his customers. The guy's Christmas tree flew out of the back of his pick-up truck and the people behind them pulled over and stuffed the tree into their trunk and just drove off. Crazy!
21. Favorite ornament theme or color?
I love all of my ornaments, but some of them have special meaning. This year my cousin gave me a set of hand carved olive wood ornaments that she got in Jerusalem. They are so beautiful and my favorites this year!
22. Favorite thing for Christmas dinner?
We always have a big German celebration, but I don't really like most German food, so I stick to the Havarti cheese and wheat bread most Christmases. This year I'm making Candy Cane Pie, so that'll be lovely.
23. What do you want for Christmas this year?
Gilbert Blythe... or maybe Christian Bale. Yes, either of them will do quite nicely :)
24. Who will you tag for this meme?
Anyone who wants to be tagged
Posted by j at 12/04/2007
It's true that I'm still alive, although my blogging as of late would hint otherwise. I've been quite busy and had a dearth of writing ideas. Over the weekend I created a Peppermint Chiffon Pie that turned out fantastically and will post pictures and the receipe in a couple of days. I just need to fine tune the recipe before I post it to people on the web :)
Posted by j at 12/03/2007