Thursday, December 28, 2006

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter, Harry Potter, Harry Potter...

It's on everyone's minds (should be anyway). I had a bit of an epiphany earlier today and I thought that I'd share it before I read about it on someone else's blog and then can't claim it as my own theory. That being said, someone else probably has already come up with the same theory, but I haven't read it yet, and I can pretend I'm the first.

Since reading book 6, I've been under the impression that Harry Potter will die. It's the classic, tragic ending. So thoroughly heartbreaking, yet memorable and touching. Harry Potter (the obvious Christ figure), so talented, gifted, and loved, dies to save the wizarding (and muggle) world from the evil Voldemort.

I no longer believe this.

Harry Potter is too pathetic to kill off. He may be talented, gifted, and loved, but he is terribly alone. His entire background is tragic. I don't think that Rowling would make someone with such a tragic background into the tragic hero. It's just too much tragedy. Instead, Ron will die.

And here's my reasoning: Ron, although possessing many good qualities, has not really pulled his fair share in the Harry-Ron-Hermione trio up to this point. Harry of course has been marked for greatness and as we all know, he is awfully brave. Just like his parents. Hermione is clever, smart, and can think quickly. Ron.....wait a sec, nothing really comes to mind. He has a cute sister? Good for a laugh every once in a while?

I think what he really brings to the table is loyalty. It's an underveloped trait of his we'll say. All that jealousy stuff sort of deterred him from fully developing it. But think back to the first book (I know it's been ages). They're all making their way together to find the Sorcerer's Stone. The first couple of obstacles, they face as a trio. Then at the chess match, Ron sacrifices himself so Harry can go on and do what he's gotta do. Rowling has previously said that Harry must face Voldemort alone (Hello! Dumbledore really is dead!) just like he faced Quirrel and Voldemort alone in book 1. Book 7 will play out similarly, but this time, Ron will sacrifice himself for real and Harry will go on to defeat the Dark Lord. Ron will then be immortalized by his willful death.

And I think Snape will die for Harry as well, proving once and for all that he is not evil. I'm not actually so sure about this one, but I really want him to be good, so I'm going to believe this theory until proven otherwise. (And I've changed my mind about Allen Rickman not being attractive as Snape. Hello! He's attractive in everything! It's definately the voice.)

And that is officially all of my Harry Potter rantings. For the moment.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooooh! I love your theories! I'm not so much of a HP fan to be able to make such statements - but I adore reading about them!

j said...

Ooh! I forgot, do you think we could petition for Rowling to bring back Oliver Wood as a main character in book 7? He is so the best part of the first two movies...

i i eee said...

I've never bought onto the Harry dying thing, myself. Don't believe the hype, fo sho.

I like your Ron/Snape theories. Definitely makes more sense.

janers said...

I think we are all entitled to dwell on this and determine in our minds what will happen next, and though I understand where your coming from I disagree on these points.

1) Harry WILL die. He has to, the dark lord lives inside of him, in order to rid the world, he too must die. Sadly, tragicly.

2) Ron is a wiener. Although his character serves a purpose, he anoys me to no end with his constant "prattleing."

3) Dumbledore is NOT dead. I am still hurting over Richard Harris (the original Dumbledore) being dead. Dumbledore can not be dead...I will be terribly saddened.

4)Snape may not be evil but i TOTALLY disagree about him being good looking. I let this slide the first time, but YICK. I had higher hopes for one such as you! I have never liked a single part he has played...he's a weasle. The perfect slimy weasle.

5) Potter is NOT pathetic. He's hopeless and lost and endearing.

I hope I did not offend with my rantings...I being a HUGE potter fan just cant hold back my thoughts. And sorry for bagging on your "man of choice" in Snape. Please keep posting thoughts on this topic...I really enjoy other's epiphany's!

Manno said...

Merry christmas and a happy new year!!!

janers said...

I want Harry to survive, I like happy endings. But a tradgic ending could also be very enthralling. Ron's purpose is to make Harry look good. He does a good job at that! ;) And S&S Allen Rickman is just as disturbing as HP Allen Rickman. I will always see him in Robin Hood as the dirty villan. Sorry, I cant join you on this love affair!

April said...

Remember, J.K. has had the ending written before she even wrote the first book, so I don't thing she's going for a sweet, sappy ending just to appease some readers. Whatever the outcome, I believe she's been meticulously leading to this finale. And I don't think it will have to do with Ron, simply because she's had the ending in mind for so long.

I'm still hoping that Snape isn't evil. Dumbledore's last words to him were "Severus, please," which can be taken different ways. Maybe he'll be a good guy despite all appearances.

And I LOVE Alan Rickman. Even with his poor judgment in "Love Actually," he's loveable.

Great post, by the way.

Allie said...

Oooooooooooh... controversial!

I've always been worried she'll kill off Harry - but I have a very deep-rooted gut feeling she won't. I couldn't explain it.

Regarding Ron - hmmm, will have to think about that. Not a bad theory.