Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Never Trust a Bird

The marvelous Stacy tagged me for "the easiest meme ever" the other day and I figured I could handle it. The rules of the meme are:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.

Since I'm sitting right next to a couple of my dad's huge bookshelves filled with tons of books I have never read nor do I plan to read, I picked up the first book that I've read. Even if it was a terribly long time ago.

From Gulliver's Travels:

"I cannot tell whether I were more pleased or mortified to observe in those solitary Walks, that the smaller Birds did not appear to be at all afraid of me; but would hop about within a Yard Distance, looking for Worms, and other Food, with as much Indifference and Security as if no Creature at all were near them. I remember a Thrush had the Confidence to snatch out of my Hand with his Bill, a Piece of Cake that Glumdalclitch had just given me for my Breakfast. When I attempted to catch any of these Birds, they would boldly turn against me, endeavouring to pick my Fingers which I durst not venture within their Reach; and then they would hop back unconcerned to hunt for Worms or Snails, as they did before."

Creepy. Clearly I was wrong to assume all of my slightly irrational fears about birds came solely from Hitchcock's movie "The Birds."

And what's with Jonathan Swift's tendency towards capitalizing nouns? A Bit out of Control.

I'm not going to specifically tag anyone, but consider yourself tagged if you want to be :)

9 comments:

Sarakastic said...

One time I was feeding this flock of ducks & they started attacking each other & they went from cute to terrifying in about 10 seconds. Maybe Swift was the forefather of blogging, I occasionally type my nouns like that. Sorry Swift. Terribly Sorry.

~Virginia~ said...

me no likey the birds. the sharp claws, the pointy beaks, the fact that they fly. nothing good can come out of that combination!

LEstes65 said...

I was wondering the Same Thing.

Great meme, girl friend! Glad to see you back in blogger land. I missed you and was having to resort to stalking you in the social cyber world.

Smooches!

ellesappelle said...

Heehee, that's a good One.

Barrie said...

I loved Gulliver's Travels when I was a kid. But those birds were creepy. I don't even remember them. Probably I blocked them. And would have to spend thousands in psych bills to work through the block. :)

Stacy said...

I was more amazed by his sentence length than the birds, to tell the truth.

Trish Ryan said...

Hee! Birds are freaky, you're so right. Glad you're back :)

enemyemily said...

Excellent. Have you read Jonathan Swifts A Modest Proposal? I think you might be humored by his solution to over population.

Beck said...

My parents had The World's Scariest Geese when I was a kid. I am still SERIOUSLY terrified of geese.
Shudder.